This past October, Maximum Yield magazine brought its world renowned Indoor Gardening Expo to Long Beach for the first time. And as was customary with the annual San Francisco show, BGH was asked to provide an "Education Station" booth. Normally we would set up a booth of several complete growing systems as a way to educate attendees on hydroponic systems and methods. For the Long Beach show we decided to do something a little different. We left the HID lights and grow tents at home and instead, put together a booth that showcased the History of Hydroponics. The BGH team put in over a hundred and forty hours and consulted over 25 major organizations and companies all over the world. We reached out to numerous other sources when researching this topic, and many of our findings were surprising, even to us.
The history of hydroponics is deep and rich. Spanning thousands of years, hydroponic gardening has stood as proof of mankind's ingenuity and fortitude when faced with less than ideal growing conditions and hungry mouths to feed. What most of us today consider merely a hobby has been at the forefront of the advancements of civilization for several millennium. Come take a closer look with us at the vast and surprising History of Hydroponics!
University of Miami Libraries
The Royal Society
Archivist WTSI History Division
National Archives and Records Administration
Special Media Archives Services Division
National Archives at College Park
National Air and Space Museum
Press Relations Office
Public Affairs Specialist
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Elizabeth C. Borja, CA
Reference Services Archivist
National Air and Space Museum
Pacific Manuscripts Bureau
College of Asia and the Pacific
The Australian National University
NASA Media Services
Vibeke "Vee" Kjoelhede
Grodan Inc. North America
Florice Whyte Kovan, MA
Academic & Publisher Research
World Technical Services, Inc.
Dr. T. Keith
Glennan Memorial Library
Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
National Archives & Records Administration
Still Picture Reference
1. Adams, William Howard. Nature Perfected: Gardens through History. New York: Abbeville, 1991. Print.
2. Air Force History Program. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/>.
3. "AP World History Wiki / Aztec Economic Systems." AP World History Wiki / FrontPage. Web. 14 Oct. 2010. <http://apwhwiki.pbworks.com/Aztec-Economic-systems>.
4. Ayres, Pat A. "Wake – the Vegetable Isle." Paradise of the Pacific Jan. 1944. Print.
5. Bacon, Francis, William Rawley, and Thomas Cecil. Sylua Syluarum: or A Naturall Historie In Ten Centuries. VVritten by the Right Honourable Francis Lo. Verulam Viscount St. Alban. Published after the Authors Death, by VVilliam Rawley Doctor of Diuinity, His Maiesties Chaplaine. London: Printed by I[ohn] H[aviland] for William Lee at the Turkes Head in Fleet-street, next to the Miter, 1631. Print.
6. Baldwin, By Sam. "The Altered States of America | Mother Jones." Mother Jones | Smart, Fearless Journalism. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://motherjones.com/politics/2009/07/altered-states-america>.
7. Bietenholz, Peter G., Thomas Brian Deutscher, and Desiderius Erasmus. Contemporaries of Erasmus: a Biographical Register of the Renaissance and Reformation. Toronto: University of Toronto, 1985. Print.
8. Boussingault, J. B. Rural Economy --. 1848. Print.
9. Cooper, Allen John. The ABC of NFT: Nutrient Film Technique : the World's First Method of Crop Production without a Solid Rooting Medium. London: Grower, 1979. Print.
10. Crowther, J. G. Scientists of the Industrial Revolution: Joseph Black, James Watt, Joseph Priestley, Henry Cavendish. [S.l.]: [s..n.], 1962. Print.
11. Curator, A. W. Letter to Gilbert Smith. 1938. MS. Wake Island.
12. Dickson, Donald. "Farming a Rock in Mid-Pacific." Country Home Magazine. Print.
13. Didius, Thea. "Aztec Farming." HistoryWalker. Web. 14 Oct. 2010. <http://www.historywalker.com/officialpaper/1/HistMacFar.html>.
14. Encyclopaedia Britannica. Chicago: Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1911. Print.
15. Farben, I. G. "2012 Forum • I.G. Farben CHEMISTRY or ALCHEMY?" 2012 Forum - Discuss Surviving the Mayan Doomsday. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11272>.
16. Gericke, W. F. Soilless Gardening: a Complete Guide. Delhi: Biotech, 2007. Print.
17. Gericke, W. F. The Complete Guide to Soilless Gardening,. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1940. Print.
18. Gibson, Reginald Walter. Francis Bacon: a Bibliography of His Works and of Baconiana to the Year 1750. Oxford: Scrivener, 1950. Print.
19. "Hanging Gardens of Babylon | Famous Buildings." Famous Buildings | Famous Buildings. Web. 1 Oct. 2010. <http://www.famousbuildings.net/ancient-buildings/hanging-gardens.html>.
20. "Hanging Gardens of Babylon." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 1 Oct. 2010. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Gardens_of_Babylon>.
21. Hobhouse, Penelope. Gardening through the Ages: an Illustrated History of Plants and Their Influence on Garden Styles--from Ancient Egypt to the Present Day. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1997. Print.
22. "HowStuffWorks "Julius Von Sachs"" Howstuffworks "Science" Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/famous-scientists/biologists/julius-von-sachs-info.htm>.
23. "Hydroponics at Wake." Pan American Weekely News Bulletin 3 May 1938. Print.
24. Jardine, Lisa, and Alan Stewart. Hostage to Fortune: the Troubled Life of Francis Bacon. New York: Hill and Wang, 1999. Print.
25. Kemp, Martin. Leonardo Da Vinci: the Marvellous Works of Nature and Man. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2006. Print.
26. Memorandum, By Same. "Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General [OQMG]." National Archives and Records Administration. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/092.html>.
27. Native Haunts-Nursery Propagated Native Maine and New England Plants. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.nativehaunts.com/ornamentalhydroponics.html>.
28. Olivares, Patrick. "AncientMexico.com: The History Art and Culture of Ancient Mesoamerica." The Ancient Web - the Ancient World's Great Civilizations. Web. 14 Oct. 2010. <http://www.theancientweb.com/features/mexico/map/index.html>.
29. "Operation Intercept: The Policy and the Research Problem." DRCNet Online Library of Drug Policy. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/history/e1960/intercept/chapter1.htm>.
30. "Operativo Actual, Símil De Operación Cóndor - El Universal - México." Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/156841.html>.
31. "Oval Office History." White House Museum. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/west-wing/oval-office-history.htm>.
32. "Pan American World Airways, Inc. Records, 1927-1991 | University of Miami Special Collections." Finding Aids Redirect. Web. 15 Oct. 2010.
34. Pedretti, Carlo. Leonardo Da Vinci Nature Studies from the Royal Library at Windsor Castle: the J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, 15 November 1980-15 February 1981, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 4 March-7
35. June 1981. [New York?]: Johnson Reprint, 1980. Print.
36. Priestley, Joseph, and Robert E. Schofield. A Scientific Autobiography of Joseph Priestley. 1966. Print.
37. Priestley, Joseph. Observations on Different Kinds of Air. London: Society, 1772. Print.
38. Rohde, Eleanour Sinclair., and Francis King. The Story of the Garden. Boston: Hale, Cushman & Flint, 1936. Print.
39. Saunby, T. Soilless Culture. London: W.H. and L. Collingridge, 1953. Print.
40. Scherschel, Joe. "Hydroponic Farms." Life Magazine 1951. Print.
41. "Science and Religion." Southern Methodist University - SMU. Web. 14 Oct. 2010. <http://smu.edu/bridwell/exhibits/Science&Religion.htm>.
42. "Science: Hydroponics - TIME." TIME.com. Web. 12 Oct. 2010. <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,757343,00.html>.
43. Slobac, Susan. "Ancient Hydroponics Gardens." EzineArticles Submission - Submit Your Best Quality Original Articles For Massive Exposure, Ezine Publishers Get 25 Free Article Reprints. Web. 14 Oct. 2010.
45. "Tecnología - El Pensador..." El Pensador :: La Expresión De La Razón. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.elpensador.com.mx/especiales/>.
46. Thacker, Christopher. The History of Gardens. Berkeley: University of California, 1979. Print.
47. "University of Miami Libraries Special Collections." University of Miami Libraries. Web. 15 Oct. 2010. <http://www.library.miami.edu/search/special/special_collections.html>.
48. Venn, John. Alumni Cantabrigienses. Cambridge: Univ., 1974. Print.
49. Weaver, Robert J. Plant Growth Substances in Agriculture. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1972. Print.
50. "What’s Become of Hydroponics?" Business Week July 1940. Print.
51. "What’s Become of Hydroponics?" Business Week July 1940. Web.
52. "Woodcuts Exhibit from the Lloyd Library, Julius Von Sachs." Lloyd Library and Museum. Web. 14 Oct. 2010. <http://www.lloydlibrary.org/exhibits/woodcuts/sachs.html>.
53. Wright, Richardson Little. The Story of Gardening, from the Hanging Gardens of Babylon to the Hanging Gardens of New York,. New York: Dodd, Mead &, 1934. Print.